Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dolly Parton on Captain Kangaroo

#6 in an occasional series of repressed 70's memories that turn out to be true.



If you are thinking that Captain Kangaroo is not "the 70s," then you may also think American Bandstand is not the 80's. These shows lasted longer than you think.

Captain Kangaroo went off the air in 1984. The clip above is dated 1975. Dolly is 23 years old; Bob Keeshan is 50. Please do not say mean things about why the Captain was so interested in Dolly. I will save my Captain/Mr Rogers grudge-match post for some other time.

I myself first knew Dolly from Porter Waggoner's outfit -- seriously, who is purtier?
Then she was just a-ever-whar.

I have to confess that I do not truly recall Dolly's appearance at the Captain's Place (though I was not above a drop-by, even in '76). I went surfing for a good Dolly clip so I could lament the postponement of her Backwoods Barbie tour -- to which I have tickets. The Tarletons and I have balcony seats for the March 5 show, which has been moved to May 5.

Dolly admits she has interrupted her tour to rest her breasts. This is not something I have ever had to resort to. I would like to use that as my next call-in-sick excuse. Last month I did pull something shoveling, so I can imagine what a 40DD must sound like screaming for a break.

But this was a post about the Captain, who was bumped aside for the CBS Morning Show in 1981.

Trivalicious Captain Stuff:
- Bob Keeshan, also Clarabell the Clown. This is fairly well-known. But we are just getting started.


8000 times more sinister than the Captain...

- "Kangaroo," because of the big pockets. Old men with deep pockets..? also pretty creepy.
But you know, it's not the Captain's fault, or Mr Rogers fault, that they were old men when I came along. I just didn't like the way they acted like they could see me.

- Slim Goodbody - a Captain regular.

- longest running kids show. period.

- his photo may be on the summit of Everest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Build Community! We thank you for yours. Spam comments are not welcome and will not be posted.