Saturday, September 1, 2007

The tomatoes are in

It is nearly Fall in New England. We mark this by Back-to-school time, Labor Day, the closing of the public pools, the transition from peach trees to apple trees. The tomato harvest.

I don't buy tomatoes in the store anymore, or ask for them raw on a sandwich. They don't even taste like food. But a tomato grown on a vine, in a backyard or off the deck, is still one of God's great gifts. And I eat myself into a stupor on them.

Understand that I don't garden myself. I am more of an indoor girl.

I am a person people like to take care of, despite my passive agreesive (and sometimes not so passive) response to that gesture. It's probably because I so clearly don't do it myself. I had a co-worker who would, every day, hand me her cast-off fruit from her lunch, as if she wasn't going to eat it. I found out much later that she brought it for me, but she knew I wouldn't eat it if I knew that, only if I thought I was doing her a favor.

I'm really just a highly functioning basset hound in most situations.

When I put the word out that I will take tomatoes off the hands of the home gardner, I reap the full bounty. here's what you do: Wash it. Slice it (circles). Pepper it. Eat it.
Anything else is unnecessary.

I could link here to a whole bunch of recipies for your tomato harvest, but I am not going to. That sounds foody, and I would rather just eat.

But this was odd, so I leave it with you.

1 comment:

  1. what's creepier here?
    1. The old lady singing off key (even before she says, "I love them so much I sing off key")
    2. The reggae beat behind her
    3. The fact that she claims to sleep with a tomato on her head.

    I would argue that here, the whole is creepier than the sum of its' parts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Build Community! We thank you for yours. Spam comments are not welcome and will not be posted.