Thursday, September 4, 2008

God Bless the Readership

an UPDATE.

Sorry, just had to shout the Good News for Modern Man, which was the book I was trying to locate in my earlier post on Bibles of the 70's.

One of the faithful...readers, that is... provided the title for me, and a couple of choice images. You can take the girl out of Wheaton, but you can't get this book out of her parents' house, anymore than you would get it out of my own. parents' house. My sentence got away from me there.


Everybody sing! "Za...cchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he... He climbed way up in a sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see..."
Sycamore? Really? I'm skeptical.

Ok, let's unpack (as my friend Tavis Smiley likes to say) Good News for Modern Man (but not so modern he might be female)

Like everything else, it has its own Wikipedia entry, and if I had only remembered its title, I would have found it. And the author of those brilliant scriptographic line drawings, whose copyright I have apparently just violated. Because of that, I will not name her, in case she googles herself.
Thou shalt not steal. But thou also shalt not make graven images, so don't split hairs with me, A.V, you know who you are.

Kind of makes you feel stupid you didn't publish your own doodles, doesn't it? Fear not:


I just made this the desktop art on my work computer. Look at that frazzled rich guy. He's thinking about inventing the Blackberry.

Here are some books it outsold. It didn't have much competition.
Here is your youth minister locking you in.




Here's what's playing in the fellowship hall:


2 comments:

  1. Great video. I totally expected them to kiss at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW I saw this film (not video) at Vacation Bible School. Service in the morning, film, lunch and then some kind of arts and crafts...so I am sure we saw it more than once. I am losing some of my memories of those summers but I do remember some years I signed up with my protestant friends for their VBS and then some years I went to my Catholic parish summer school. The protestant church was way more fun!

    PETE

    ReplyDelete

Comments Build Community! We thank you for yours. Spam comments are not welcome and will not be posted.