Friday, August 3, 2007

It could only be better if it were actually Netflix


I have been meaning to tell you about Good Reads, the book listing/sharing site recently introduced to me by KF -- dear friend and reader. This is more listing than releasing of books, though those functions are possible. You could also add to your hoard from it, so I recommend cautiously.

Who are they? Librarian + software engineer = exquisite list making. I should also point out Dr A. had this idea a while ago, and found a site that would do the job, but it lacked the reader's touch. This is what that site meant to be.

Co-founder Elizabeth Khuri writes, "One afternoon while I was scanning a friend's bookshelf for my next great read, it struck me. When I want to know what books to read, I'd rather turn to a friend than any random person, bestseller list or algorithm. So I thought I'd build a website — a website where I could see my friends' bookshelves and learn about what they thought of all their books. "

Compulso-meter: Low, but in a good way. This is a very clean-looking site, with plenty of white space and book cover images. Standard lists include books you've read, books you're reading, books you want to read.... but you can create your own. I have a separate list for audio books, which my audio book friends and I admit we judge differently than we do reading.

Cool stuff:
Bookmarklets, such as the one linked to Amazon, that lets you add books you find there to your Good Reads. {chills} Friends lists, naturally, with the same dialogue feature you enjoy on Netflix.

Meet people near me. Say you are looking to form a book club. (I don't understand you, but I recognize it is a perfectly normal thing to do). Good Reads will show you Good Read listers near you, and you can contact them with your book club idea. Or your society of creative anachronism idea. Or to buy their OED set.

Friends popular, unpopular. Not what it sounds like. And they should probably change that. But you can see the most popular and unpopular books among your circle of friends.

Yes, but can I pass off my book pile there? Indeed you can. When you list your book, check the box, "I own a copy of this book I'd be willing to swap/sell." (Try not to notice the lower case "i."). What I can't figure out is how to locate these books in othjers' lists. But it's just as well; you have enough crap already.

Why is Netflix better? My title only reflects my superior love for movies over books. And as much as I could wander a bookstore for 10 hours, defeated by the knowledge that I will never read them all... I eventually "get done" and need a Tazo. On the other hand, I could read lists of movies for...ever.

That's your book hoarder's review for the day. Check it out and link yourself up. You need more networks to justify the amount of time you spend on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Build Community! We thank you for yours. Spam comments are not welcome and will not be posted.