Thursday, July 23, 2009

On my honor, I will try

There were 2 things I enjoyed/marvelled at about the code as I learned it:

1) Boy Scouts promised to DO. Girl Scouts promised to TRY.
discuss.
Like shampoo that "helps restore vitality and luster," we are not truly accountable.
2) "...especially those at home."

I learned over dinner tonight that not everyone learns the same oath. My dinner mate, who was reciting along with me, went off on some other direction that kept her obedient to the cadre of the Scouts, but allowed her to leave the house. "And obey the Girl Scout Law?" What about the needy people at home, without proper first aid? and sit-upons? Who is looking after them -- well, trying to look after them?

On my honor, I will try...

By the way, try this some time. Recite the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance together. It's spooky. Like this

Our father, who art in Heaven
Of the United states of America
They Kingdom come, for which it stands
On earth as it is in heaven
Indivisible....


If you can throw the Girl Scout promise in there too, good on ya.

On my honor, I will try to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people every day, especially those at home.

I do not find this exact version in any (easily reached web-based) reference. The 1963 Brownie handbook, which is certainly the version I was indoctrinated with, has a Brownie promise that is nearly this. My handbook was the fat orange one with the plastic fold-over cover. Anyway, you can now substitute another name for your god or belief system. You promise to "do your best," which does sound like you are working harder at it, but still not a real commitment. As a trade-off, you now help them "at all times," which is more vigilant, I think than "every day." And you don't have to help people at home. Well, I guess you do, you can just lower them in priority. And earn your badge at a neighbor's house.

On my honor, I will try: To serve God* and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law. the GSA put the asterisk in, not me

Let's Draw In!!

Crazy Girl Scout facts
1. Dorothy Stratton was national executive director. Not the Dorothy Stratton you're thinking of.
2. English Brownie Scouts must also try to do their duty to the Queen. Everybody wants somethin'.
3. The GSA can shut me down for using the wings without their permission
don't tell them about THIS

Great Girl Scout links
creepy social realist coloring book
Roundups with money
Be Prepared
Glengarry Girl Scout
Proof the cookies shrank




Give me a child until she is seven, and I will give you the dork

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could really use a sit-upon right now. It's actually the ONLY thing I remember about Brownies and Girl Scouts. (Repressed memories??) Now just where did I put that ol' thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, we didn't have the "especially at home" part!

    "On my honor I will try to serve God and my country, to help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout law."

    I, too, love the gloves; I remember gawking at them in the uniform catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember gloves. I hated selling cookies. I stayed in Scouts because (a) all my friends were there, (b) we went camping and flirted with the horse boys at the state parks, and (c) my mother made me. I also cheated on my knots badge. Still get confused by knots. Always do them backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a Girl Scout in the late 60's/early 70's, and I remember part of the oath being "To help other people at all times". At least, that's what is struck in my head. I don't remember saying "every day". Still ended with "especially those at home".

    ReplyDelete

Comments Build Community! We thank you for yours. Spam comments are not welcome and will not be posted.